Mariam Diarra Reveals 3 Easy Steps To Getting Started With Public and Media Relations Today
In this episode of Enlightened Entrepreneur Podcast, public relations expert, Mariam Diarra talks about the beginner’s guide to getting started with public and media relations. Since moving to the US, Mariam has started working in the PR industry and has managed to put her clients on the top US media outlets such as Forbes, Huffington Post, US Today, and many other media outlets.
Key Questions Asked:
- What is the first step that business owners need to take if they want to succeed with their PR?
- For those who don’t know their audience, what sort of advice does Mariam usually give them so that they can do this first step right?
- What is the next step that they need to take in order for them to get to where they want to be?
- How does Mariam go about coming up with this strategy?
- If individuals get stuck on this stage, how does Mariam help them get unstuck?
- Assuming that business owners know the audience and they have a clear strategy in place, what is the third step that they will need to take in order for them to get to their goal?
- How does Mariam differentiate which outlet to use for the story or for the business?
- What particular tools for public and media relations do business owners need to know about?
- What is the best mindset for a beginner business owner that would guarantee success when it comes to public and media relations?
- If she were to do it all over again, what would Mariam do differently?
Highlights of Lessons Learned:
- The first step is to know your audience and the message you want to share with them.
- You will know this by knowing your product. If you know your product, you know the type of audience you want to reach.
- The second step is to prepare a strategy for it so you need to know what kind of objective to set.
- When stuck, Mariam usually them do a reporting to see how they did their first campaign, how many people they reach and why it didn’t work. From there, Mariam helps them readjust their strategy.
- The third step is just to go for it and do a proper campaign.
- Aside from that, you need to create an experience that make people feel special and love your product.
- Outstanding services and adding value is the way forward for business owners.
- You need to love your business, and believe in it. The more you’re confident, the more people will love you.
- Most business owners don’t know how to communicate and they need to be very careful of their ways of communication whether internal or external because miscommunication can be damaging to your business.